Ocular Inflammatory Conditions


Uveitis occurs when the middle layer of the eyeball gets inflamed (red and swollen). This layer, called the uvea, has many blood vessels that nourish the eye. Uveitis can damage vital eye tissue, leading to permanent vision loss.

How is uveitis treated?

Uveitis needs to be treated as soon as possible to prevent lasting problems. Many pphthalmologists treat uveitis with eyedrop medicine that reduces inflammation (corticosteroids). They may also use an eye drop to widen (dilate) the pupil, which helps reduce pain and swelling. In some cases medicine may need to be given by injection (shots) or taken by mouth.

The ophthalmologists at Eye Care Associates will carefully examine the inside of your eye. Since uveitis is often connected with other diseases or conditions, some tests may be needed including a physical exam, blood or skin tests, examination of eye fluids, and imaging tests, such as X-rays.

Iritis/Anterior Uveitis

Iritis is an inflammation that affects the colored ring around the eye's pupil (iris). The iris is a part of the middle layer of the eye (uvea), so iritis is a type of uveitis, also known as anterior uveitis.

Iritis, the most common type of uveitis, affects the front of your eye. The cause is often unknown. It can result from an underlying systemic condition or genetic factor.

If untreated, iritis could lead to glaucoma or vision loss. If you have symptoms of iritis, see one of the ophthalmologists at Eye Care Associates as soon as possible.

How is iritis treated?

Iritis treatment is designed to preserve vision and relieve pain and inflammation. When iritis is associated with an underlying condition, treating that condition also is necessary.

Treatment for iritis can involve:

  • Steroid eye drops.Glucocorticoid medications, given as eye drops, are often used to reduce inflammation.
  • Dilating eye drops.Eye drops can be used to dilate your pupil can reduce the pain of iritis. Dilating eye drops also protect the patient from developing complications that interfere with the function of the pupil.

If your symptoms don't clear up, or seem to worsen, the ophthalmologists at Eye Care Associates may prescribe oral medications that include steroids or other anti-inflammatory agents, depending on your overall condition.